I used a background fabric that gives the impression of sand. Four different sizes of sandals (for each human member of the family) and a set of dog paws are walking through the sand to the water in the distance. A couple of shell groupings have been added to the sand for additional texture.
The border of quarter square triangles allow you to use bright fabrics and play with the beach theme. This can easily come from the stash.
Skill Level: Intermediate, rotary cutting, basic sewing skills, fusible web appliqué
Finished Size: 52 x 27½ inches
Materials (provided by you):
- 1¼ yds (1.25m) sandy background fabric
- 4 fat eights for sandals (any leftover can be used for quarter square triangles)
- Small piece of dark brown for dog paws
- Small piece of water fabric
- Small pieces of shell fabrics
- ¾ yd (75cm) of bright fabrics for quarter square triangle border (scraps will need to be at least 4 ¼ inch square)
- ½ yd (50cm) fabric outside border
- 2 yds (2m) backing fabric
- ½ yd (50cm) binding fabric
- ¾ yd (75cm) paper backed fusible webbing
- 58 x 33 inch batting
All patterns have been test quilted to ensure accuracy.